Dienstag, 29. Oktober 2019

New Orleans Questionnaire: Maurice Carlos Ruffin

Maurice Carlos Ruffin is author of a novel, We Cast A Shadow, that came out in 2019. He writes short stories and essays and worked as a lawyer until this year.

New Orleans is... beautiful, challenging, strange.

Favorite place in New Orleans: The St. Charles Avenue Streetcar line. I love to jog it. It's great for people watching and feeling the humid air on my skin.

Favorite building: The First Bank and Trust Tower is a mixture of styles. It's a litte art deco, a little Bauhaus.* 

Favorite New Orleans food: Gumbo. It's delicious and connects me to my ancestors.

Favorite New Orleans musician/s: Kermit Ruffins (no relation).

Favorite piece of writing on New Orleans: Sarah Broom's The Yellow House is about the neighborhood where I grew up. No one has written about it with such a passionate, keen eye.

Favorite New Orleans movie: Girls Trip. Those ladies are so funny.

Favorite New Orleans word or expression: ya heard.

Most apt New Orleans nickname: The Big Easy. 

Favorite New Orleans thing not mentioned here: We have the best snowballs in summer.

Who should be mayor of New Orleans? President Obama. He'd like it here.

How can the city lower its murder rate? Stop with the mass incarcerations, improve education, and grant access to financial resources.

The thing I like least about New Orleans: We take a long time to change.

What people don't know about New Orleans is: It is world famous, but it is really a small town.

Why I live in New Orleans: It's where I'm from. I love it.

My expertise on New Orleans: I'm a native.



* The First Bank and Trust Tower is located on 909 Poydras Street in the Central Business District (CBD). It is 36 stories and 481 feet high and was completed in 1987.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen